Gift wrapping pretend play is such a fun activity to do with kids around the holidays, and perfect for building fine motor skills. Cutting, measuring, taping and decorating all incorporate math, art, and motor practice through PLAY. We have been collecting recyclables such as cardboard boxes, toilet paper rolls and milk cartons to wrap with some paper scraps from last Christmas. Doesn’t it look like fun?!
Setting Up a Gift Wrapping Pretend Play Station
What you need:
- gift wrap
- kids scissors (I like this kind)
- ribbons, bows, etc.
What to do:
- Lay the materials out on a table.
- For younger children, place small pieces of tape on the edge of the table for easy access.
- For older children, encourage them to measure the size of the paper relative to the object, and the length of the tape that they will need.
- Allow your child the creative freedom to wrap the objects in whatever way they like, and not necessarily the ‘right’ way.
When setting up an invitation to play like this, it is important to allow children the freedom to use materials and express themselves. Set out the amount of tape and gift wrap that you are ok with your kids using. This will eliminate any micromanaging that you will need to do about their supply usage 😉
My kids really enjoyed navigating the shape of the different materials that they wrapped, and the freedom to go crazy with the tape roll 😉
Stock up on gift wrap after the holidays, and let your kids play and learn and HAVE FUN with some gift wrapping pretend play. You can even make some gift wrap yourself to do this with! Decorate your wrapped box like a reindeer, print it with cookie cutters or make it tie-dye! Whichever way you choose, I know your kids will have tons of fun!
Like invitations to create and play like this? Check these out.
12 Days of Blogmas
This post is Day 7 of the 12 Days of Blogmas, see what that is here! Enter to win our massive giveaway, over $800 in prizes and $150 in cash (list of prizes at the bottom of this post)! Enter now below!
More ‘Gift-themed’ posts from the Blogmas bloggers:
- Gift Wrapping Pretend Play and Fine Motor Practice with Recyclables by Views From a Step Stool
- Travel Gift Guide by Girl on the Move Blog
- Gift Guide for Creative Ladies by Mrs. AOK Work in Progress
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide for Kids by Verified Mom
- Best Gifts for Infants and Young Children by Motherhood and Merlot