The Five Little Pumpkins book is a favorite in our house. Once the leaves start to change color and a cool breeze fills the air, we start singing this rhyme. This 5 Little Pumpkins fine motor busy bag is perfect for practicing pre-handwriting skills by clipping the clothespin to sit the pumpkin on the gate. Plus, it’s made with simple materials in only a few minutes!
*This post contains affiliate links.
To Make Your 5 Little Pumpkins Fine Motor Busy Bag
What you need:
- 7 craft sticks, jumbo or regular size
- 5 clothespins
- pumpkin stickers
- The Five Little Pumpkins book
What to do:
- Set 5 craft sticks in a line on a flat surface with about 1/2 inch in between them.
- Place dots of glue about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up the sticks.
- Attach two craft sticks across the dots of glue, creating a fence.
- Place your pumpkin stickers on the ends of the clothespins.
*Note: If you don’t have pumpkin stickers on hand and still want to throw this 5 Little Pumpkins fine motor busy bag together quickly, you can use orange pom-poms as a substitute, or simply draw some simple pumpkins with a sharpie! Additionally, for older children, you can number the pumpkins, prompting them to place the pumpkins in correct order on the gate. This will work on number recognition and counting as well!
Read the book, The Five Little Pumpkins, to your child. Ask them to sing the rhyme along with you, while attaching the clothespins to the gate.
Place all of the pieces into a ziplock bag and take this busy bag on the go with you! You child will love to sing the rhyme in the car or a waiting room to pass the time. I currently have a 1, 3 and 5 year old, and they all love this busy bag equally!
See More 5 Little Pumpkins Activities from the VBC:
- Pumpkin Rocks Alphabet Matching – Inspiration Laboratories
- Pumpkin Math: How Many Segments? Teach Beside Me
- Roasting Pumpkin Seeds With Kids: A Five Senses Experience – To be a Kid Again
- Preschool Pumpkin Skin Experiment – Preschool Powol Packets
- Pumpkin Suncatchers – Clare’s Little Tots
- Make a Felt Pumpkin Face – Mama Smiles
- Free Printable Pumpkin Shape Puzzles- School time Snippets
- Pumpkin Light Box Letter Formation – Adventures of Adam
- Pumpkin Patch Name Spelling Activity – Still Playing School
- Pumpkin Patch Picking Numbers – Rainy Day Mum
- Pumpkin Counting Printable-CraftCreateCalm
- Pumpkin Sensory Play with Water- The Educators’ Spin On It
- Easy Colorful Mosaic Pumpkins for Kids- Toddler Approved