These adorable Easter rice krispie treats are fun for kids to make, and perfect for a party snack or festive treat. Robin’s eggs top the bird nest treat.
Rice Krispie treats are always a fun choice for a kids party or fun themed treat! We love making homemade snacks like these for get togethers with friends, and the kids love to help make them in the kitchen. We have made a variation of these Easter rice krispie treats by swapping the crispy cereal for dried chow mein noodles to make fun bird nest treats with Peeps!
Fun and Festive Easter Rice Krispie Treats Kids Can Help Make
Many of my friends had children around the same time as me, so we love to use holidays and seasonal activities as reasons to get together and let the kids play and bond while we chat and catch up! Easter is a fun one to celebrate with kids, from egg hunts to yummy treats, it’s also a great way to welcome Spring with kids. These Easter rice krispie treat are easy to make and so festive!
What you need to make the Easter Rice Krispie nests:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 package Mini Robin Eggs
- ½ cup coconut
- 2-3 drops green food coloring
- Cooking spray
How to make nest Easter rice krispies
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
4. Spray a bit of cooking spray on your hands.
5. Form a small ball of Rice Krispies mixture, and place into mini muffin tin. A kids’ favorite step!
6. Using a spoon, form the ball around the bottom and sides, to create a “nest”.
7. Put coconut in a zipper bag and add food coloring, zip and shake well until coconut is coated and green in color.
8. Add a few coconut flakes to each “nest”.
9. Top with 3 Mini Robin Eggs.
Aren’t these cute? I bet your kids would love helping out in the kitchen with this fun Easter treat too.
Can you add food coloring to melted marshmallows?
Yes! if you want to make colored nests you can absolutely do this. My daughter really wanted pink and purple nests, because why not?!
When we color rice krispie treats, we like to use natural food dye, and add the coloring to the melted marshmallow and butter mixture. Then, when you add in the rice krispies, they will easily soak up all of the gooey color and be evenly coated as well.
Do rice krispies contain common allergens?
The rice krispie nests themselves are a great choice for bringing to a party as they do not contain many common allergens. They are peanut, egg and gluten-free. We were a gluten-free household for a period of time and were one of our favorite treats to make.
However, the coconut and the robin’s eggs could pose an allergy threat for kids. If you are concerned about this for your party, make the nests ahead of time and bring the toppings for kids to decorate the nest themselves!
Access our Exclusive Content!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, and your password to all of our free printable resources!