These STEM and gaming gifts are perfect for 6 year olds who want to get into video games and other technology based toys. Encourage fun and imagination!
Buying presents for 6 year olds can be challenging for parents. Toys with an educational value that stimulate imaginative play and board games are always fun. Cute toys such as Thomas the Tank engine and Disney Cars and dolls are stacked away in bins, but Transformers, Bakugan and Pokemon still go on their adventures and battles. At this age, your 6 year old might additionally have a growing curiosity for electronics, video games, and technology gift.
Nintendo DS, Wii, Xbox Kinect or PS4 seem to be on many letters to Santa. The pros and cons of these interactive video games are numerous. However, when used in moderation (such as all enjoyable things in life) and under parental guidance (in our family dad is often a keen volunteer) they can be entertaining and even educational.
There are plenty of good games around with an educational twist and stimulating motor skills. Of course, parents will have to make up their own mind whether to buy a Nintendo or Wii for Christmas or not, but they also have to accept that their children grow up with computer games and will get confronted with them anyway, at their home or elsewhere. Maybe the best solution is to allow controlled access and often this will help raise their interest in other cool toys again.
*This post contains affiliate links.
STEM and Gaming Gifts for 6 Year Olds
Here are some Christmas present ideas that will make your ‘big’ kid do a ‘big’ jump.
* Nintendo Wii: This gaming console is still very popular and ever improving. The motion plus controller lifts the whole gaming experience to a new dimension. Very appealing are the Wii bundles with Wii Sports, Mario Kart and the Wii wheel.
* Lego Minautaurus: LEGO designed a range of board games to achieve the ultimate playtime experience! Build it and play it. This is a fun game for the whole family to enjoy, perfect for those long winter evenings.
* Lego Harry Potter Hogwarts: LEGO and board game fun have been cleverly combined. This themed board game is perfect for Harry Potter fans and is a real must have. Some nice extras.
* Disney Toy Story 3 Ultimate Buzz Lightyear: To infinity and beyond! Since the release of Toy Story 3, Buzz Lightyear is on top of children’s wish lists again. This remote controlled Buzz will definitely make a great Christmas present.
* Lego Creative Brick Box: Stimulate your child to be creative and constructive with this great basic collection of Lego bricks. Guarantees hours of construction fun!
* Edu Science Dinosaur Dig: Most 6-year-olds are still fascinated by Tyrannosaurus Rex and archaeology so what’s more fun then to dig for your own dinosaur bones, put him together and play with him.
* Spykee Micro: Boys love remote controlled toys and this little robot is a rather cool and affordable toy. It’s easy to build and comes with light and sound effects.
* Air Hocky Table: If you feel like splashing out and have room for it, you might want to consider an air hockey table. A guaranteed hit with young boys; expect lots of little friends coming to visit.
* Leapfrog Interactive Globe: Encourage your child’s curiosity and learn together about the world. The Explorer Globe teaches countries, capitals, continents, oceans, population, time zones, compares land area & population between location’s, land area, music, currency and the distance between two locations.
* Nintendo DS: at the end of the list (or would it be on the top if 6-year-old-boys could choose?) this ever popular gaming console which doesn’t need much clarification. Especially wanted are Mario Bros, Mario Basketball, Bomberman, Kung Fu Panda and Bakugan.
Nintendo Wii ConsoleLEGO Minotaurus GameLEGO Harry Potter HogwartsToy Story Ultimate Walking Buzz LightyearLEGO Classic Medium Creative Brick BoxWacky Lab Mega Science LabEdu Science EARTH SCIENCE LABErector Spykee Micro CellTriumph Fire ‘n Ice LED Light-Up 54LeapFrog Magic Adventures GlobeNintendo 2DS – Electric Blue with Mario Kart 7
When 6-year-olds are making their Christmas wish list it will more than likely contain video game consoles like Nintendo DS, Wii, Xbox, PSP or PS4 and videogames featuring Mario Brothers. However, with a little bit of smart guidance from mummy, 6-year-olds will get enthusiastic about loads more toys and games that are educational, creative or just fun!