Growing up in California, we very rarely got snow. When we did, it was so short-lived that we would quickly build a snowman and briefly play before running back inside and warming up with a cup of hot chocolate next to the fire. Now, living on the east coast, our winters are snow-filled and FUN despite the occasional unbearable temperatures. (If you are stuck inside waiting for it to accumulate, take a look at my 25+ SIMPLE Ways to Keep Kids Busy Indoors.) Some of our favorite winter activities involve using the snow for some non-traditional play and learning. Check out how your kids can play and learn with SNOW!
Play and Learn with Snow
1. Color mixing in the snow. We love any color mixing activity, so we like to bring a bin of snow inside, mix up some primary colored water with food coloring, and drop it on to the snow. See the full post and activity here!
2. Go on a treasure hunt for ice jewels! Make various colors of water and fill up a silicone mold or an ice cube tray and freeze. Once your ‘ice jewels’ are frozen, throw them into the snow and let the kids hunt for treasure.
3. Use your sand toys as molds! Make towers, towns, patterns, etc…get creative!
4. Blow bubbles! Twitchetts made these Frozen Colored Bubbles that just look like too much fun!
[Tweet “Use the snow for LEARNING and FUN!! Read here for 8 activities”]
And a few more of our favorites from some other fabulous bloggers…
5. Glow Sticks in the Snow // Simple Fun For Kids
6. How to Build an Igloo // Kids Craft Room
7. Make Snow Paint // Science Kiddo
8. Paint the Snow // The Resourceful Mama
How do you play and learn with snow? I would love yo hear it! Check out these fun tools below to add to your snow play 🙂
Looks like you are having so much fun! Thanks for sharing those neat links to other bloggers’ snow posts. I’ll check those out next!
Such fun ideas — especially with all this snow we have here on the East coast! We love coloring the snow activities!!
I love the ideas of ‘ice jewels’ I think my son would have a blast trying to find them in the snow!
ICE TREASURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are DOING this!!!! I still haven’t done Susie’s bubble idea. Maybe we will do both today. We have used sand toys in the snow and it’s been great. Sharing this. GREAT ideas!!!
Thank you!! Yes we have some heart shaped treasures forming in the freezer to hunt for later today!
Sorry ICE JEWELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh. Need more coffee.
HA! Mack would probably prefer treasures 🙂