This adorable haystacks snack is the perfect farm themed treat for kids! Perfect for a farm-themed activity with the book ‘Little Blue Truck’.
The book Little Blue Truck is perfect for young kids. The animal and truck sounds are catchy amidst the wonderful story about friendship and teamwork. All of my little ones love this book, and as a farm-themed activity to go along with the book, we made a ‘haystacks snack’!
These are a version of rice krispie treats with one alternative that gives a hay effect, yet are so simple to make, you can whip them up really quickly!
*This post contains affiliate links.
To Make your Haystacks Snack
Rice krispies are a fun and easy treat to make with kids, and are a great seasonal treat as well. This fun haystacks treat is a spin on classic rice krispies, that looks like its made out of hay. It’s a great extension activity for the book, The Little Blue Truck, or any farm theme for kids.
What you need for your haystacks snack:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 2 cups Chow Mein Noodles
- Wax paper
- The Little Blue Truck Book (optional – but fun :))
What to do:
In a large bowl, combine the butter and marshmallows and microwave until melted, stirring occasionally.
Add noodles and stir until combined. That’s all the mixing and melting you need, easy and fun for kids to do!
Place wax paper on a baking sheet and spoon the mixture onto the tray making little piles.
Let these haystacks cool and some of the stickiness of the treat will go away. They will be much easier for little ones to hold once cooled.
We read the book Little Blue Truck over and over and enjoyed our fun snack! You could add some nuts, coconut, raisins, etc. to the mixture to make them a little bit more fun.
We wanted a plain look to our haystacks snack but just might make these again with a more creative spin on it.
More ‘Farm-Themed’ Activities from the Virtual Book Club:
- Farm Animal Beginning Sounds and Bingo Game – Rainy Day Mum
- Little Blue Truck ABC Animal Pick Up-Growing Book by Book
- Farm Alphabet Scavenger Hunt – Sunny Day Family
- Play & Count Farm Animals – My Storytime Corner
- Farm Animal I SPY & Graph Printable – School Time Snippets
- Number Games Based on Little Blue Truck Books
- Mud Pit Chip Dip – Preschool Powol Packets
- Farm Animal Races – Inspiration Laboratories
- Colour Sorting with Farm Animals – Clare’s Little Tots
- Decorate a Farm Animal – Mama Smiles
- Little Blue Truck Farm Animal Story Retelling – Powerful Mothering
- Roll-a-Story Fun (Includes Character Printables)—Chickadee Lit
- Farm Themed Brain Breaks-Sugar Aunts
- Hide & Match Farm Animal Puzzle Game- Toddler Approved
Jodie Rodriguez says
What a fun and easy snack to make with the kids.
Adventures of Adam says
Never thought of combining those ingredients together before. Great activity and snack!