Does she know her colors yet?
I’m sure as a parent you have heard this question a thousand times….at the park by inquiring moms, at your child’s 2 year checkup, or from your need-to-know-everything mother-in-law family members. Comparing children is something we all do, intentionally or not. As we know, each child develops at their own pace, and while there are guidelines for which milestones children should meet at certain ages, we always want our own kids to be one step ahead – and learning colors just so happens to fall in that category. At my daughter’s 2 year check-up, my pediatrician asked me if she knew her colors. I sheepishly responded with a quiet ‘no’. I explained that we do all sorts of fun learning activities at home and talk about colors all the time but it just isn’t anything she has shown much interest in yet. The doctor didn’t seem worried about it at the time, but in the back of my mind I began to question whether or not this was normal. Did I need to do anything about it? I quieted my mind, and explained to myself that we would continue to work on them, but that I didn’t need to agonize over it….after all she was only 2 right??
Fast-forward 2 months and enter Magic Moves® Rainbow Jam by Educational Insights.
I swear, this toy taught her colors almost overnight! I know I know, I’m sounding like a neglectful mom who resorted to a battery-operated device to teach my daughter her colors. But I would be lying if I said it happened any other way. If I could rewind 5 years to my pre-mommy self, I would remind myself not to judge a parent. EVER. There are SO many opinions and ideals that I had. You know, that list of things that you will NEVER do when you have kids…until you catch yourself doing them…frequently. Well here I am, talking about how I failed to teach my daughter her colors until she stumbled upon the magical Magic Moves® Rainbow Jam toy.
Here is a quick list of my pros and cons about this toy:
- I love the interactive features. Kids can really create their own music, play a number of songs or listen and dance along to music.
- The colors are incorporated in a number of ways. The flashing light on the wand matches the color that the song playing is about, and the wand itself showcases the different colors.
- The color songs are very catchy and quite mature. The lyrics of the songs are very well thought-out and are not just simple little rhymes. This feature attracts a range of ages.
- The wand itself is very sturdy and has taken a few bumps from my kiddos without any issues.
- The wand can be used on clothing, toys, other books. The included booklet does not need to be used for the songs and notes to work.
- The booklet with the music is flimsy. It is not poorly constructed, but would be much nicer as a board book. Unless used on a hard surface, the book crumples under the wand, making it difficult to use. As you can see, ours has already ripped and is currently being held together with tape.
Access our Exclusive Content!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, and your password to all of our free printable resources!