This DIY Advent Calendar had so much inspiration from many different places, so I’ll try to give credit where credit is due! I wanted something inexpensive, fun, and that incorporated acts of kindness. Now that the kids are a little older, I have been trying to talk about how we can help others. He has enjoyed shipping presents overseas to children and giving to those less fortunate, so I am really using this holiday season as a platform for those discussions and including it in our countdown to Christmas!
To Make Your DIY Advent Calendar
What you need:
- muffin tins
- post-it notes
- Christmas stickers (gift labels)
- small toys/candies
What to do:
- Fill each space with one chocolate and a couple small Legos. (I found an inexpensive Lego set and sorted them into the order that it is assembled according to the directons and placed 1-2 pieces in each space accordingly, definitely the hardest part of the project).
- On post-it notes, write acts of kindness on the back. (To make this cuter you could use scrapbook paper, much like the muffin tin calendar mentioned above, but I found that the post-it’s mixed with gift labels were easier).
- Attach the notes with the kindness acts to the outside of the muffin tins to create little doors.
- Each day of Advent, open up one door, add to the lego building that you are creating, and complete the act of kindness for the day!