The book Little Blue Truck is perfect for young kids. The animal and truck sounds are catchy amidst the wonderful story about friendship and teamwork. All of my little ones love this book, and as an activity to go along with the book, we made ‘haystacks’! These are a version of rice krispie treats with one alternative that gives a hay effect, yet are so simple to make, you can whip them up really quickly!
*This post contains affiliate links.
To Make your Haystacks
What you need:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 2 cups Chow Mein Noodles
- Wax paper
What to do:
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and marshmallows.
- Microwave until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Add noodles and stir until combined.
- Place wax paper on a baking sheet.
- Spoon the mixture onto the tray making little piles.
- Let cool.
We read the book over and over and enjoyed our fun snack! You could add some nuts, coconut, raisins, etc. to the mixture to make them a little bit more fun. We wanted a plain look to our haystacks but just might make these again with a more creative spin on it.
More ‘Farm-Themed’ Activities from the Virtual Book Club:
- Farm Animal Beginning Sounds and Bingo Game – Rainy Day Mum
- Little Blue Truck ABC Animal Pick Up-Growing Book by Book
- Farm Alphabet Scavenger Hunt – Sunny Day Family
- Play & Count Farm Animals – My Storytime Corner
- Farm Animal I SPY & Graph Printable – School Time Snippets
- Number Games Based on Little Blue Truck Books
- Litttle Blue Truck Sensory Bin – Adventures of Adam
- Mud Pit Chip Dip – Preschool Powol Packets
- Farm Animal Races – Inspiration Laboratories
- Colour Sorting with Farm Animals – Clare’s Little Tots
- Decorate a Farm Animal – Mama Smiles
- Little Blue Truck Farm Animal Story Retelling – Powerful Mothering
- Roll-a-Story Fun (Includes Character Printables)—Chickadee Lit
- Farm Themed Brain Breaks-Sugar Aunts
- Hide & Match Farm Animal Puzzle Game- Toddler Approved