These counting activities for 4 year olds teach counting through play. Including ideas for busy bags, playdough mats and board games.
Four year olds are learning at a rapid pace. From numbers, shapes and letters to social-emotional development, they are absorbing information all the time. These counting activities for 4 year olds are fun ways to practice counting through play.
Counting Activities for 4 Year Olds
Learning how to count is the basis for learning early math such as addition and subtraction. When counting, children learn number order and understand the concept of high and low numbers.
Teaching counting can happen naturally through every day activities. When outside, point out 3 trees and count them, or ask your child how many toy cars he/she is playing with.
If you are looking for more structured activities with counting as a central component, we have 8 on this site that children will love.
- Fall Clip Counting Busy Bag
- Pumpkin Sensory Bin: Picking, Counting and Exploring
- Acorn Fine Motor and Counting
- Counting Chicks Busy Bag for Preschoolers with Peep and Egg
- Plastic Easter Egg Counting Game for Preschoolers
- Simple Fine Motor Snowball Counting
- Apple Playdough Mats: Numbers 1-10 Free Printable
- Free Printable Board Games for Kids
- Pumpkin Counting Activity with Popsicle Sticks
Many of these ideas are seasonal, but the contents of the busy bags can be manipulated to go with the current season or holiday too! In the printable board games link, there are a number of different themes so you are sure to find content there that your children will love.
Have so much fun learning with these counting activities for 4 year olds!
More 4 year old activities: