We love Fall activities! When we can use acorns, apples and leaves that we have collected or picked outside it makes the activity even more fun. This acorn fine motor activity is a great activity for 1 and 2 year olds (with adult supervision), and can be done with 3 and 4 year olds as counting practice. For this week of the Virtual Book Club for Kids, we read Scaredy Squirrel, one of our library favorites (check it out on YouTube if you can’t get it).
*This post contains affiliate links.
Acorn Fine Motor & Counting Activity
What you Need:
- fine motor tools
- muffin tin
- pen and paper
What to Do:
For the assembly, place your gathered acorns into a dish or bowl (I used a seasonal pie plate). Add some fine motor tools and a muffin tin to the space. We love the fine motor scoopers here but you can use kitchen tools like tongs and large spoons as well, all are great for fine motor practice!
This project is quite simple, and mostly mess-free using household items. It also provokes some thought and opportunity to ask questions about acorns, where they come from, who eats them, etc. This makes for a perfect extension activity to Scaredy Squirrel.
To take this from a fine motor activity to a counting activity for older kids, simple add some slips of paper with a number written on them to the individual muffin spots.
Kids can use the motor tools or their fingers to count out the amount of acorns in each space.
It’s seasonal, free and easy!! And the kids loved it 🙂
More Acorn and Squirrel Themed Activities:
- Acorn Alphabet Sensory Jar Game- The Educators’ Spin On It
- Acorn Sharing Game – Witty Hoots
- DIY Song Cube with Fall Song Printable from My Storytime Corner
- Fall Sensory Bin Acorns & Squirrels Color Picture Match- Sea of Knowledge
- Acorn Discovery Table – Inspiration Laboratories
- Squirrel Brain Breaks- The OT Toolbox
- Acorn Color Sort- Teach Beside Me
- Acorn Ramp Play for Toddlers- Toddler Approved
- Help the squirrel find his acorn – Mama Smiles
- Squirrel Action Rhyme – Preschool Powol Packets
- Find the Acorns Printable Sight Word Game – Artsy Momma
- Acorn Ordering and Sorting – Rainy Day Mum
- Making Shapes With Acorns – To Be A Kid Again
Kimberly Cox says
Super excited to try this idea out this fall, my almost 2 and 3 year old will enjoy it I’m sure. Thanks for sharing.