There are so many basic math skills that young kids can learn through play. From numbers and counting, to spatial relations and geometry, much of early play like building towers or creating patterns with toy cars practices basic preschool math.
This basic math with fall leaves activity is the perfect way to work on math skills in a fun, and festive way! We are doing this activity as part of the Virtual Book Club for Kids, and in conjunction with the book Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert.
Basic Preschool Math with Fall Leaves Activities
Before working on these math skills, you first need to get out with your kiddos and collect some leaves! Try to look for leaves with varied colors and shapes so that you can complete a few different activities. We found some with colors that ranged from yellow to deep red and with a few colors in between.
We used the same types of leaves so that it was easy to see the differences in size. You could certainly try this with different types of leaves to make it a bit more challenging.
- sort from smallest to biggest (largest)
- sort from biggest (largest) to smallest
- add a ‘medium’ size to your line
- if many of the leaves are the same size, group them instead of sequencing them
Here we found leaves that ranged from light yellow to a deep red. We were able to find a few variations of colors, if many of yours are the same, add multiples in a pile on your sequencing line.
- sort from light to dark
- sort form dark to light
- group by color
- talk about which color you have more or less of
This is a great one for younger children to work on counting skills. To practice counting up to 10, you need to collect 55 leaves, thats quite the leaf hunt!! This is the perfect way to practice your basic math with fall leaves.
- use similar sized leaves with younger kids so that they can see the progression in size as the number increases
- with older children, use different sized leaves and discuss that just because the items take up more space, there are not necessarily more of them
- use dots next to the numbers for younger children to place the leaves on
We hope you love the book Leaf Man as much as we do! Show us how you are playing and learning basic preschool math with leaves!
More Leaf Themed Activities From the VBC:
- Learning About Letters with Leaves & Falling Leaves Song – Kori at Home
- Beginning Sounds Activity: Leaf Sticker Tree- Growing Book by Book
- Letter Recognition Game with Free Leaf Printable
- Leaf Name Sticky Wall – Inspiration Laboratories
- Learn to Write Your Name with ‘Letter Man’ – Chickadee Lit
- Write Your Name In Leaves – Adventures of Adam
- Learning Fun With Leaves – Clare’s Little Tots
- Preschool Printable Counting Leaves-CraftCreateCalm
- Fall Loose Parts Sensory Invitation – My Storytime Corner
- Fall Leaf Auditory Processing Activities
- Preschool Leaf Science Experiment – Preschool Powol Packets
- Simple Preschool Science: Leaf Matching Activity– School Time Snippets
- Giant Colorful Watercolor Fall Leaves for Kids- Toddler Approved
- Leaf Art ~ Prewriting Patterns for Fall
- Leaf Tracing Pre-Writing Activity – Books and Giggles
- Leaf Puppets – Messy Little Monster
- Leaf Art – Making scenes/people with leaves – Mama Smiles
- Exploring Leaf Shapes – Nature Walk Activity – To be a Kid Again
- Leaf Shapes Fingerprint Activity – Artsy Momma